29 March 2020

Coffee Talk: Little Victories

We’re going to keep this sweet and short today.

I feel like there is so much negativity and sadness surrounding the state we’re currently living in and I understand it. There’s a surge of racism and violence against the Asian community. People are being laid off – whether temporarily or permanently. There’s a shortage of necessary supplies and this virus is killing people all over the world and it doesn’t seem to be slowing down. We’re told to stay home and only go out for necessities. Parks, shopping centers, movie theaters, and any other large place of gathering has been shut down. Even the park by D’s house has been tapped off with caution tape so that the kids can’t play on the playground.

At the end of the day though, we’re all still human and this lack of social interaction can be depressing. And this is coming from someone who identifies as an introvert – even introverts need to be able to go out every once in a while in my opinion.
 
This past Thursday I had a mental breakdown and while it sucked to experience, it couldn’t have come at a better time. That very same day I had a pre-scheduled therapy session with Dr. A – via phone of course to be safe. She reassured me that in moments like these where there is so much uncertainty in the world, it’s completely reasonable and understandable for anyone to experience a breakdown. She told me that it’s okay to feel what I’m feeling whether that’s sadness, anger, or gratitude. She said it’s okay to cry if I feel it becomes too much for me to internalize. And that’s what I want to tell you. It’s okay.

Feel however you’re feeling. Express it however you need to get your feelings and thoughts processed. If you need to cry, then cry. If you need to go out because you feel like a caged animal, then go out. Obviously still be practicing safety – 6-feet apart, washing your hands when you get home, etc. – but go for a quick run or walk around your neighborhood. Call or text your loved ones if you need to talk to someone. Maybe take up a new hobby or get back into one you previously had.

Here’s what I’ve done and maybe it’ll help you:

·      Having an early night: Even when I’m not at D’s I’ve been trying to sleep earlier so that I wake up more refreshed and ready to tackle the day.
·      Making the bed each morning: Sure, I’m WFH, but making the bed each morning makes me feel like I’m still going through the process of actually “going” to work.
·      Cooking: This plays into trying to keep up with my eating disorder recovery, but it also helps me find balance in my day. It gives me something to do other than work all day.
·      Instagram story templates: There are so many of these templates circulating on peoples Insta stories. I’ve never personally been one to do them, but now I do one once a day to have something less serious to think about for just a few moments.
·      Snacks or dessert before bed: I’ve been enjoying a treat before bed almost as a type of reward to myself to making it through the day. Did I work today? Yes? Here’s a Nosa Honey yogurt. Did I take a walk today despite my social anxiety? Yes? Here’s a handful of Starbursts. It’s all about the little victories right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment