31 May 2020

Coffee Talk: Black Lives Matter

In light of recent events, I wanted to share my thoughts on the protests going on. Now please bear in mind that I am still trying to educate myself, and in a way, will always still be learning about the struggles that black people face. I apologize if I offend anyone, but I simply want to give an insight into my perspective on things.

Now, I’m not blind to racism. My family was good about making sure I understood how to recognize it and teaching me to stand up for myself and others if I see it happening. Though I am a minority and have faced slight racism growing up, it’s nothing compared to what the black community has had to face their entire lives. Sure, I’ve been called “chink” and had people mock me in “Asian” accents, but I don’t think that’s nearly the same as the things the black community has faced. I’ve never had to fear for my life from authority figures or even regular people. Maybe recently in light of the coronavirus, but even then, not to the extent that black people deal with on the daily basis since forever.

I feel like I’ve only recently in the past few years started to really get a glimpse as to what the black community deals with through my sister-in-law. Though I don’t think I’ve seen anyone blatantly disrespect her or be prejudiced against her in my presence, I have heard about her experiences. The thing is though, no matter how much I hear and feel for her, there’s no amount of complete understanding I can have. I can sympathize and support her, but I’ll never understand how it feels because I do not have to struggle with it on the daily.

I’ve talked to my sister-in-law a bit more about these issues given the current events and it’s really opened my eyes. We talked about how fear of authority fears is taught just like racism is. She said that she personally knows cops – friends and relatives – but that doesn’t mean she doesn’t still fear cops when she sees them. It doesn’t mean that she doesn’t fear for her father, brother, sister, 3-year niece’s life every day that they wake up. And again, I can’t feel that same level of fear that she has, but I understand it and I get it in a way. At any moment, someone she loves could be assaulted, or worse – killed – simply because of the color of their skin. It’s absolutely devasting to think that there’s a whole community of people who live in this fear every day of their lives.

I saw a video on Instagram where black parents and their kids talk through what to do and say and how to behave if they encounter a cop. In the first few seconds of the video is with a little girl and her father and he says there’s a phrase that they practice in their household – “I am [name]. I am eight years old. I am unarmed and I have nothing that will hurt you.” The first time I saw the video I burst into tears. Here is an eight-year-old little girl who has been taught that she could be seen as a threat to a grown adult and for what, the color of her skin? It’s absolutely insane and heartbreaking because the ugly reality is that that in itself is the world the black community lives in. No child or person should have to live in fear simply because of the color of their skin. No person should have to wake up and wonder if today is their last day to live.

The thing that makes this whole issue even more sickening is that not everyone sees it as an issue. People are out here saying, “all lives matter” and “I don’t see color.” Well hey, guess what, if “all lives matter” then why are black lives being so blatantly taken away with no consequence. There are countless cases where innocent black people had their lives taken and the killers either got away with it or it took the public to demand action be taken. This wouldn’t be the case if the roles were reversed, if a black person killed a white person – that black individual would be immediately deemed a murder and charged. Then there’s the whole “I don’t see color” statement. While the sentiment may be intended to be like an “I’m with you” statement, it doesn’t quite mean that in my opinion. To me, if you say you don’t see color then you’re taking away the inherent injustice and tribulations that the black community faces because of their color. You’re saying that we’re all equal when we aren’t.

At the end of the day though, this isn’t an issue that’s going to be resolved overnight. This issue and injustice have been prevalent since history began. Things will never get better if the world can’t come together to see how unjust it is and take action as one to make things better. And the thing is, I don’t think that’s possibly because racism doesn’t work on happy thoughts. It works on fear and hate – on the belief that one person is better than another solely because of the color of their skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment