12 May 2014

Coffee Talk: After School

"Thanks Mom and Dad!" "CU Later!" "I did it!" Amidst the sea of bedazzled graduate caps, the previously mentioned statements are the common cap staples for many graduates of my university. For me, I'd prefer to keep it simple. "Peace out"

2014 graduation

As of this past Saturday, it's been exactly one week since I graduated from college. One week of no waking up early and forcing myself to pay attention to the lecture my Professor is giving. One week of not stressing about papers and projects to finish. One week of no school.

The past four years I couldn't wait to finish and now that it's actually all over, well, I'm not quite sure what to do with myself. I've spent the last four years constantly studying or working on projects. I had syllabi and class schedules to follow and keep myself busy. Now there's nothing. Granted I'm frantically trying to find a full-time job so that I can start paying off student loans, but until then I feel a bit lost. This past week alone I wake up thinking that I have to get ready to head to class only to realize that I don't have class. The idea of being a college graduate hasn't fully sunk in just yet and I'm not sure when it will. More than likely, it seems like everything will finally begin to feel different when I land a full-time job and get in the habit of waking up for work.

For now, I'm going to try to savor the feeling of being able to sleep in every day. If Sleeping Beauty can spend years in a deep slumber simply because she pricked her finger on a needle - granted it was cursed - then I think I deserve to sleep-in to make up for the countless all-nighters I pulled studying. In fact, I think everyone deserves at least one day a week to catch up on much needed rest for all his/her hard work. It's only fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment